Tag Archives: Eating

Day 27 – Slow Down (your eating)

For day 27 of  31 Days of Healthy Ways to Enjoy the Holidays More the tip is to slow down your eating

Slow down your eating.  Since the season has been so busy, you may have gotten in to the habit of scarfing your food down in a rush, eating in front of the TV or computer to save time or even eating standing up.  When we eat and don’t pay attention to our food, we often finish the meal looking for more (even though we’re full!)!  How many times have you gotten up after dinner to get a snack or something sweet? If you ate enough, the real reason you’re looking for something else to eat is because you weren’t present with your food.  It’s almost like there’s a part of your brain that isn’t aware that you just ate – it doesn’t know because it doesn’t remember seeing your food.  You just threw it in your gullet and were done!

Eating slower gives your body a chance to send signals to your brain that tells you when you’re full.  It also makes digesting your food easier.  When we anticipate eating, we produce saliva, which has enzymes in it that help us to start to break down food.  We also produce stomach acid to continue breaking down our food.  If you blow through meals too quickly (and don’t chew them well), you’re jumping ahead before your body is ready.   This can lead to indigestion, gas and stomach pains. So what can you do about it?

At mealtime, sit down in a quiet place, turn off the tv, put down your phone, don’t read the newspaper. Relax. Sit with your food and take it all in with your senses.  See it with your eyes. Let the scent of it enter your nose, then taste it.  Take small bites and chew thoroughly before swallowing.  Notice how it feels on your tongue.  Focus only on the food on your plate when you’re eating.  Be present.  Stop when you feel you’ve had enough and most importantly enjoy your food.

Day 5 – Indulge a Little!

Feeling Tempted?  Give in a Little.

Feeling Tempted? Give in a Little.

Here we are at day 5 of 31 Days of Healthy Ways to Enjoy the Holidays More!  Today’s tip is to let yourself indulge a little in the rich foods of the season.  Go ahead. Have a piece of cheesecake.  Have a glass of wine.  Enjoy them.  And then go back to your normal eating afterwards without any guilt.

I know, you’re trying to avoid dairy or wheat or sugar or in general eat less, but unless you have an allergy or  a medical condition that requires absolute avoidance of certain foods, there is nothing wrong with letting yourself enjoy a little of your favorite holiday foods.  Eating healthy is a continuum, it’s not something we do just for a few weeks and it’s not sustainable if you never let some of the less perfect foods slip past your lips.  A good rule of thumb is to aim for a balance of 90/10 in your diet.  That means 90% of the foods you eat are healthy, whole foods and the other 10% can be more indulgent.

Eating is so much easier when you don’t set yourself up for failure.  For many of us, if we eat absolutely perfectly and abstain from everything we desire all season long, come January, we’re going to go overboard and eat everything in sight and then what was the point of missing out all December? Have you ever found yourself going back to the kitchen repeatedly to get one little bite of a delicious pie? You probably ended up eating more and enjoying it less than you would have if you just cut yourself a piece to begin with.  It’s all about balance. Find yours.  Let go of feeling bad and you’ll feel so much better all season long.